Saturday, June 4, 2016

RACER.com: Beckman uninjured after explosion

NHRA Funny Car driver Jack Beckman was unhurt after his Infinite Hero Dodge Charger exploded during Saturday's first round of qualifying for the NHRA New England Nationals at New England Dragway.

Crew chief Jimmy Prock confirmed that a broken camshaft was the cause of the explosion. Beckman was in the process of closing the throttle when the broken camshaft caused the air/fuel mixture to ignite in the manifold, causing the blow-up.

"It was moving around some," Beckman told Fox Sports after he climbed out of the wreckage. "This racetrack can be exciting as a driver, the groove can get tight and sometimes you have to stage off to the inside to get better rubber on the starting line. I pulled it back, and it's moving around some, and I think it just started to spin the tires ... what could have happened is it might have tagged an intake valve, and big explosion, I mean, that's one of the biggest ever.

"The worst for me, 'cause the oil was completely all over my visor, and I actually had time to reach up with my glove and wipe it up, and until then I couldn't any see anything. And it's nice to know that you're not going into the wall. You look at the safety gear and my gloves are burned, my firesuit's burned, and I'm OK. Forty years ago that wouldn't have been the case with a fire like that."

The team planned to continue with the same chassis, foregoing the final session in order to take the time to prepare the car for final eliminations.

Ron Capps maintained his No. 1 qualifying spot in Funny Car qualifying after Friday's elapsed time track-record pass of 3.865 pass (325.92mph) held up.

LINK